My mum used to wake up super early before school, so she could make a batch perfectly timed to when we woke up. I always remember racing out to the kitchen to devour several of these bran muffins.
My little twist is adding frozen blueberries into the mixture, because well blueberries go with everything right? Well that is my stand point!
Once you make the base mixture you can really add in any mix ins, so let you imagination go wild!
If you make a winning flavour make sure to share it in the comments below!
Blueberry + Date Bran muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup dates
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin cases. Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk then let stand for 10 minutes. Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla then add to buttermilk/bran mixture.
- Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture until just blended. Fold in dates and frozen blueberries and spoon batter into prepared muffin tray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy.