“Food is more than just nutrients, our mental health around food is just as (if not more important!)”
- Kids appetite fluctuates depending on so many factors, for example – sleep, activity levels etc.
- Kids are learning about food, some food waste is inevitable just as paper is wasted when they learn to write!
- Remove the pressure and follow the golden rule: you decide what what and when food is served, kids decide how to and what to eat of what is served
- Remove the food labels – Food can be healthy and unhealthy but what we don’t want to teach kids is that this unhealthy food is bad and should be avoided.
- Get kids involved as much as possible – Food play is really important to help them feel comfortable around these new foods.
6 Foundations to a Healthy Relationship with Food
- Start Them Young
- Honour Them Young
- Remove Food Labels
- Promote Positive Body Relationships
- Remove the rewards and celebrations